Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I remove boot from usb flash drive?
A month ago I was testing out Linux Mint and created a bootable usb flash drive and then put the iso on.

Since then I wanted to delete everything off the flash drive and use it with the media creation tool to make an image of windows 10 on there.

But I'm having a problem.

I can delete and format the drive. I start the process of having the media creation tool download then copy it on to the drive then it stops saying there is an error with the device. It gives me an error message (I'll have to update this post with the exact number later as I'm not at that computer atm). So I stop the program and open windows explorer and click on the drive, immediately it says it can't read the device (I confirmed this by right clicking to show properties and it shows 0 bytes used and size is 0 bytes), and it asks me to format the device. Then I try the media creation device again and get the same problem.

Looking around the net this seems to be a common problem. Whenever people create a bootable usb drive, when they have finished with it and want to return it to being normal again, they run in to this problem. So far I've not seen anyone with an explanation as to why this happens. It's not a problem I'd heard of until running in to this situation.

Things I've done.

I format the drive with fat32.
I've formatted the drive with NTFS.
Someone said to put the media creation tool on the usb drive itself and run it from there. But that didnt work.
I've looked in the disk management program and can't see any obvious issues there.

As anyone run in to this issue and solved it?

If you want to recreate it, create a bootable usb stick and then after try using the media creation tool on that usb and you'll find the problems I have.

this can something happen after using a flash drive to create Linux

try zeroing out the flash drive then formatting to NTFS

https://briteccomputers.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=707

maybe it helps

after format flash drive with command prompt, remove flash drive and reinsert flash drive

Ok, I'll try the suggestions in the thread. The error I get on the media creators tool is: 0x80042405 - 0xA001A

I just tried a tool called Bootice but that didnt work.

--
UPDATE

I just tried the imageusb program Compton suggested and it worked. I was then able to use the media creation tool and that worked too!

Brian, I would suggest this be a topic of a future video as when I searched on youtube there wasnt really any video that give a proper answer, or suggested any programs. I'm sure more people will run in to this issue as more people try linux. I'd never even heard of this type of issue and I've been formatting stuff since the 90s lol.

glad you got it working Smile