Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10 Update: "Windows 10 Needs this update...."
Good Morning:

I have a machine I use at work for our Thrift Store: It is a little old, but runs windows 10 pretty well: Lately however, the system insists on downloading and installing some update that it says it needs for Windows 10 - Knowing how crazy MS is about updates, I do not mind updating the machine at all, but I am getting to the point that I will always forgo windows home versions, simply because windows 10 just downloads and installs everything without even a warning, and then you get something from the Windows Update Assistant that says that it is downloading it, and while I don't mind updates, I wish there was a better way to control windows 10, so it just doesn't start doing things without user intervention.

The Update apparently comes from the Windows Update Assistant, and I am unsure what the heck it is, because there is nothing to say what it is, it just says that windows 10 needs to have the latest updates, or something along these lines. The update does NOT have an "X" a "remind me later" or a "close" box, and will download all the way, and then will install, restart a couple times, then revert back to the original installation. This happens EVERY time, and after a week of using the system, and realizing that I am now FORCED to take this update, because it will reappear EVERY day, I have had to resort to something Britec does NOT advise:

STOP and Disable the Windows Update Service and then restart - This is because after 8 to 10 tries, I cannot get the update to take, and it wastes 1-3 HOURS of my workday, because it will just FAIL and revert back to where it was prior to the update attempt - While I like Windows, I HATE that MS is FORCING the update, and the ONLY way to get control of my machine(s) in my opinion, is to REFORMAT and reinstall using Windows 10 PRO - This way, at least I have a chance to control what the heck and when the heck things download - The machine was a Windows 7 Home Premium Laptop prior to my upgrade, and has been running well for a year.

My other machine, a Dell Inspiron 3541 Laptop, took the update fine, and this machine was a Windows 8 machine at one time, and when Windows 10 came out, I upgraded, and it worked well, but when it comes to the (Compaq Presario C62) Work Laptop, I have had to KILL the windows updates, because I need to use the machine for tasks every few days, and when the Windows Update Service detects I have turned the machine ON, it will show me that in minutes.

Is there a way to get rid of this update, or at least stop it from bugging me every day - If it would take the update correctly, I would have no issues, but I keep getting it, and while I would rather NOT resort to a total wipe and reinstall of windows 10 pro, this may be the ONLY way to get this one to take, and while I shudder at the prospect of having windows update service disabled, at least I will be able to get work done without a constant 3 hour attempt and fail at installing some updates - I cant even IDENTIFY what update it is, NOR can I use WUShowhide to let me see what the update is, because there is NOTHING for it to show orhide - and once it starts showing me the BOX, I cant END the task that is causing the update, so that I can proceed with work.

Does anyone know what update it is? Could it be the Creators Update? Is there a way to force the update to take without backing out? I await your responses and suggestions!

Thank You for all your help Wink

Brian
Brian S. Baker
Linux Enthusiast /Computer Consultant At Large/ "The Wizkid"
System Admin: buddy-baker.us
buddy-baker.us

Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter and see if that clears up the issue.

Click the Start Button then click "Settings"

1. Type "troubleshoot" into the search bar at the top
2. Select "troubleshoot" in the search results
3. Select Windows Update on the Troubleshoot selection window
4. Run the troubleshooter and follow the prompts

Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

Good Morning Timster:

Is there a way to determine WHAT update windows 10 Upgrade Assistant is telling me to install?

I will definitely try this tomorrow when I go to work, but I may have to keep the Windows Update Service OFF for a couple days, because if this actually TAKES, I don't want this thing just installing anything it wants. If the troubleshooter can determine the problem, I will attempt another update, but if it fails, I will have to disable the update service, because even though the computer is doing what I want to have it do right now, I cant keep wasting 3-4 hours at a shot installing updates that will fail.

Thanks Tim Smile

Brian
Brian S. Baker
buddy-baker.us

You should be able to see all updates status in the "View install update history" option in the Update Status Window.

.png   001.png (Size: 32.82 KB / Downloads: 44)

.png   002.png (Size: 38.8 KB / Downloads: 43)
912-220-0765

Timster:

Thank You for you assistance: I will let you know how it goes when I return to work on Saturday Morning Smile

Brian
Brian S. Baker
buddy-baker.us

Timster:

First, because I have been having problems with this work machine, I have DISABLED the windows update service, because the minute I turn the thing on, it wants to start downloading the update, and I CAN NOT stop the update and close out of it, so when the machine turns on, the Update Service is RE ENABLED, and takes almost 4.5 hours to completely download, and then it will try to install.

What happened on the 17th was, that the moment I turned on the machine, it downloaded whatever it was from the Windows Update Assistant, and this was even though I had disabled the update service - Then it took 4.5 hours to download and install, and when it was done installing, it restarted, and then while running through the update, my screen went BLACK several times, because it takes a LONG time to install and run this thing, and when it went BLACK I thought the machine was hanging (apparently the machine turns the screen off if it sits too long, and I even think I disabled this.

Anyway, because of the machine's screen going black, and not knowing what it was doing, I waited 10 minutes, then forced-power off the machine, and when I restarted the machine, I would get bluescreen after bluescreen: Each one had a different error - It would not recover by itself, so I noted a couple of these and then shut if OFF:

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

AND

some problem with pgw.sys

I checked all the updates that were failing the install, and it looks like its just a normal update, and there is evidence of a .NET update and a couple others, and other than that, I did NOT see anything out of the ordinary, so I am wondering if I can either RIP OUT this UPDATE and CASTRATE the update service to give ME control and tell this update to POUND SAND? I cannot afford to have an update bug me every day, and then crash out or blackscreen, then back itself OUT when it dies, and is in a reboot loop - If I NEED this update to keep windows 10 running, can I FORCE it to take it, and maybe download this thing to a thumbstick and have it install FASTER because it is NOT downloading again and again?

Tuesday Morning, the Machine started right up again, and I had no errors, but this is annoying - I wish WE could TELL Windows what to update and when - sometimes forced updates can cause more harm than good!

What do you think Timster?

Thank You for your Help Smile

Brian B.
Brian S. Baker
buddy-baker.us

did you try disabling the AV program

Did you run the Windows Update Troubleshooter as shown?

Are you 100% sure your hard drive is healthy? Have you tested the hard drive to confirm?

There are ways to schedule when updates are applied in Windows 10 however I do not think this applies to your issue.
912-220-0765

How to Test Your Hard Drive Using SeaTools for Windows

How to check your hard drive health status with crystal disk info

older screenshot may not be actual