Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10 image won't restore but Win 7 will
Friends typical 3rd Gen i7 Gatway desktop here . Computer froze up and didn't complete the last weeks update, blue screen etc. etc.  So I was able to get into safe mode and bring up system restore points. Here's where I should of turned Right instead of Left. I said to myself let me first make a backup image immediately before using system restore thinking I only have one shot using that in Safe Mode.  So using Paragon Backup I made a couple of current images. Paragon was used on this machine during the past few years with yearly Images saved onto an external drive. 5 images total are saved. Images #5 & #4 early ones are Win 7 OS from the pre- free win 10 upgrade  and #3 is from post Win 10 upgrade having Win 10 as the new OS. #2 & 1 are from when I took over the machine and made two back ups before beginning diagnostics.

So work begins current Images are made i can now attempt safe mode system restore. Well this is where everything went south. Unable to get into Safe mode anymore. Unable to use Window repair disk to fix anything. System restore points have vanished. I'm left with a unbootable hard drive and no ways to fixing it.

Fine I have all these backup Images. I first try the latest one I did #1 in hopes of getting back into safe mode and attempt restore but the image won't boot up. Blue screen that leads to nowhere is on the monitor. Ok i say it's possible I have a bad image (lol). I try #2 that I just made two hours ago and same thing no boot blue screen with no options. I then go back further to #3 (from post Win 10 upgrade) this one is 1-1/2 years but I figure Win 10 will be on there. But no-go Blue screen "Repair Computer" with no option but to shut down again.

So now I'm all out of backup images with Win 10 on them. I have no choice but to try the pre- free win 10 upgrade and settle for Win 7 again....and yes sir it restores fine and boots up. I'm scratching my head at this why did the Win 7 work but not the Win 10's?? I also try the oldest win 7 (#1) and it booted just fine also.

So in review all my Win 10 Backup images failed but all my Win 7 images booted properly. I immediately thought it was a BIOS or a format to GPT issue but the bios has no UIEF settings and the GPT attempt wouldn't boot due to MBR missing error.

It's been 5 days of long hours trying to get all these Images to boot and have settled on the lastest Win 7 just to get the guys computer back running so he can go on with life. I will hope the Win 10 upgrade is still out there (I watched your Vid Brian) and see if that will bring us back into the current. Only real bad part now is extracing all the files from the old image to copy over to the now current Hard Drive.

So what is the cause of the Win 10's not booting? Anyone help me out understanding? I don't think at this point there is any going back but I still would like to know.

Thanks

did you verify the Windows 10 image after creating the image?

I  would create image with Macrium Reflect verify image

then try to restore the image

(03-02-2018, 02:42 AM)Compton Wrote:  did you verify the Windows 10 image after creating the image?

I  would create image with Macrium Reflect verify image

then try to restore the image

Yes all 5 images were verified and checked out OK. I have been using Paragon for a long time 8 years or so. Never had a problem 99% restore success rate. I don't think this is a Paragon problem since the older Win 7 images were made with the same program and they restored perfect. Only the Win 10 Images failed.

Thanks for the reply.

I will add that on my machine I have restored Win 10 many times with success so you can't say Paragon has any problem with Win 10 specifically.

I am  not saying it is the Paragon software but it could have a problem restoring the windows 10 image on that computer

the reason I told you to take an image with Macrium Reflect and try to restore is  so we would eliminate  Paragon as the problem or not

it could also be the hard drive I would run a how to check your hard drive health status with crystal disk info

How to Test Your Hard Drive Using SeaTools for WindowsHow to Test Your Hard Drive Using SeaTools for Windows

I agree with Compton, Could be a Hard Drive issue... Have you tried restoring any of the Windows 10 Images to a known good drive? I would try that next.

Why Windows 7 will work, but not Windows 10... Windows 7 and Windows 10 boot in 2 completely different ways "without getting too technical". Windows 10 can be finicky at times and is probably seeing something with the system that Windows 7 isn't picking up.
L.S. Computer Systems
807 East Broadway
Hopewell, VA. 23860, USA
+1 (804) 715-8185
https://www.lscomputersystems.com