Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB Problem
The USB drive that I usually do my backups with isn't showing up on Win10.

When I plug it in I hear the windows sound that its connected but nothing happens. If I go in to windows explorer the drive doesnt appear.

I loaded up device manager and I have the little ! sign on the drive.

I look at Properties and the general tab and in the device status it has;

Quote:Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for "safe removal" but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code 47)

To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then plug it in again.

When I unplug the drive and plug it back in I get this;

Quote:Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)

The driver could not be loaded because a previous version of the driver is still in memory.

I think this problem comes from my just unplugging the drive instead of doing the 'safely removing' the drive.

But I'm not sure how to fix it. It's only happening on this drive so far.

I also tried shutting the computer down and starting it back up again but the problem is still there.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Some other sites are saying to press a troubleshoot button, but there is no troubleshoot button in the properties box on Win10.

Any help appreciated.

PS. I tried a program called USBDeview but even with the usb drive plugged in it doesnt show the details of the drive, at least I can't see the serial number for it.

try this its a bit of an old video but should work the same on windows 10

(03-09-2018, 01:30 PM)Compton Wrote:  try this its a bit of an old video but should work the same on windows 10

Thanks for the reply.

I just found that video before and was watching it.

Before I started it I thought I'd try disabling it and then re-enabling it and it seemed to work after a reboot. So I'm doing the backing up.

When I'm finished I'm going to use the safely remove function to see if that makes a difference next time.

Win10 really needs a better clean up of its internal files. I noticed there are a lot of people with the code 38 problem.

glad you got it working, yeah win10 is still buggy you just got to love win10 Smile

Solved, thread closed
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net