Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Network adapter problem
I have a problem with my internal network adapter. Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 board. It has two adapters ...the gigabit connection and the standard Intel ® connection. I have POE (power over ethernet) for my internet tower out back of my house. It has to have powered ethernet. I have had to replace at least 4 routers in 4 years. Now, I had the internet company technician out because of slow speeds. My internet gets 5 mb down and 1 up normally. When the tech hooked up his laptop to my cat 5 input coming out of the router, he was getting 4.5 mb's down. When I hook up, I am getting 2 mb's down and kilobytes on the upload. I hooked up the ethernet cat 5 directly to my network adapter connectors on the back of my PC (bypassing the router) I am still at 2 mb's down. I am thinking possibly the Power over ethernet has finally blown out my network adapter. Any thoughts on this. My solution is going to be to go buy a PCI-E network adapter and install it. Any ideas on why this is happening?
Paul

it's not your network adapter, it's just a ISP throttling your internet speed

(04-19-2018, 02:14 AM)f23948 Wrote:  it's not your network adapter, it's just a ISP throttling your internet speed

It seems you might be right. After installing a brand new gigabit PCI-E adapter and buying a brand new better router. I still have the same speed. I'm gonna go ballistic!
Paul

ok if disconnect POE (power over ethernet from and connect directly if the router to the computer are getting same?

are you getting same speed on wifi?

are you getting 2 mb's down all day or only at a set time?

(04-19-2018, 01:01 PM)Compton Wrote:  ok if disconnect  POE (power over ethernet from and connect directly if the router to the computer are getting same?

are you getting same speed on wifi?

are you getting 2 mb's down all day or only at a set time?

No. I have wifi disabled. I had let my bill lapse and ended up getting internet shut off for one day. I paid the 190 dollar bill and then my speeds were way low. I was getting 4.6 mb's down and 1.1 up the day before. After replacing the router, and getting a brand new pci-e gigabit network card, I have these terrible speeds. My ISP reports "we are not throttling you". They said "i am elevating this issue to tier 3" Same BS they always say. Hooking the cat 5 cable directly to the network port brings the same 1.5 mbps download speeds.
Paul

ok is pci-e gigabit network driver up to date?

do you have any more computers hook up to Ethernet or just that one computer?

if you do have more computers hook up to Ethernet do all of them get the same speed?

is the router a modem and router together or just a router?

(04-19-2018, 04:01 PM)Compton Wrote:  ok is pci-e gigabit network driver up to date?

do you have any more computers hook up to Ethernet or just that one computer?

if you do have more computers hook up to Ethernet do all of them get the same speed?

is the router a modem and router together or just a router?

Figured out what the problem was...apparently the hail storm had knocked the grounding box cat 5 cable out and broke it. They replaced it, gave me another router and I am getting good speeds again. My high dollar router I just bought was making my speed much slower...haven't figured that one out yet.

thread closed
Paul

Glad you got it working