Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laptop on/off switch
When booting this morning the USB was required.
Battery only failed. Mains assisted failed. With USB inserted, booted first go.

Len

can you post a photo of what you are talking about

Try removing battery and disconnect power cables and any peripheral devices USB, scanner, printer etc, then with those removed / disconnected hold power button down for 45 - 60 secs.

Plug in just the power cable and see if it will boot up.

(07-17-2018, 02:11 AM)Compton Wrote:  can you post a photo of what you are talking about
Here is a photo of me pushing the switch - nothing happening, no power light.

And here is a photo while it is booting.

Len

OK what  you are say  required USB to boot power on

(07-18-2018, 08:15 PM)Compton Wrote:  OK what  you are say  required USB to boot power on
Yes, that has been the case.  No USB no boot 90+% of the time.

However, as suggested by GuiltySpark, over the weekend I held the power button down for more than 2 minutes with no power or battery connected. Of course, visibly, nothing happened. Unfortunately I forgot to remove the wireless mouse transceiver because I didn't notice it but no other peripherals were connected.

Since then I haven't needed the USB to boot but it often takes up to 5 presses to start the boot process. (I have been persevering.)  I presume that holding down the power button with no power source at all somehow discharged a capacitor somewhere. Is that what you expected GuiltySpark?

Len

Unrelated question: Although I subscribe to this thread to receive email notification of replies, I am yet to receive any email from the forums.
Is there some other setting somewhere that should be set. (Didn't know where to ask this.)

I would remove the memory and wifi card then check to see if it will power on

did you check the spam section in your Email

(07-23-2018, 05:47 PM)Compton Wrote:  I would remove the memory and wifi card then check to see if it will power on

did you check the spam section  in your Email

It has a SODIMM which I will temporarily remove. The wireless is not removable. It is "embedded" according to the manual. I'll let you know what happens.

Nothing relevant in Spam folder, nor in Junk.

Len

I will subscribe to the thread to see if I will get any Email

if any don't come it probably the forum software problem

(07-23-2018, 11:53 PM)Compton Wrote:  I will subscribe to the thread to see if I will get any Email

As I prepared to remove the SODIMM the thought came to me that when I rebooted, there could be a problem because the hyberfile.sys would now be larger than the available memory and so some sort of error or overflow will occur.

Any experience with that?

I'll remove the RAM next time I have to shut down rather than hibernate.