Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
File locator NTFS
I want to find out where on my HDD a certain file lives.  i.e. Where does it start and end?

Can anyone suggest a program which will look into the file system and show/tell me where it is? I would like to know which clusters it uses or which cylinder(s) etc. it occupies. This file is producing errors in the event log.

Thanks
Len

Thanks but that isn't my problem. My C: drive is 30% full, 70% free.
I am not looking to make space available. I use Tree Size Free for that.
I want to find where on the physical spinning HDD a given file is living.

There is a particular file which regularly creates warnings in the event log: ID 508 which says -
  ESENT Event 508 A Request to write to the file .... bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time
so, to save time,  I want to run Spinrite on just the area where the file is rather than on the entire platter.

The file is in ...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache

If this was a FAT system, I could look at the directory entry to find out but I am not familiar enough with NTFS.

Len

You could try some of the answers given here : https://superuser.com/questions/97823/how-do-i-determine-what-file-occupies-a-given-sector

however, I'm not entirely sure if this is what you're looking for as it sounds like you are trying to physically see which sector a file belongs too and I don't know of a way of doing this as most files tend to be fragmented (a piece here, a piece there).
Someone else may know of some software which achieves what you require but I haven't used any.

Are those files not in the web cache path you posted?

(07-17-2018, 08:18 AM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  it sounds like you are trying to physically see which sector a file belongs too and I don't know of a way of doing this as most files tend to be fragmented (a piece here, a piece there).

I want to find out which sector contains the beginning of the file even though it is fragmented (21 fragments). That way I can run Spinrite starting at/before that sector. Spinrite takes 60 hours to do all of C: at level 4. Given that only 30% of the drive is in use, I figure 6 or 8 hours overnight should be enough to correct the entire file if I start near the actual beginning of the file regardless of any defragmentation.

If I still get 508 errors I can always treat the entire drive.

Len