Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BIOS updates.
I have a PC from one of the large suppliers and am a bit concerned by some of the reports I read on their Support Forum. I have a Support Assist app from the manufacturer which regularly checks for latest driver updates etc. It also checks the hardware and performs clean ups.

The problem is, There have been a number of BIOS updates which it tells me are Urgent in order to resolve some Intel Security issues. On reading the Support Forum, I've seen that a number of owners have updated their BIOS only to find their computers have become unresponsive and bricked. It appears that the manufacturer does not take any responsibility for this unless the BIOS update was done under the instructions of one of their tech staff and that they would only supply a new motherboard if instructed to do so by a support techie.

As you can imagine, I'm very reluctant to update because of this and am seeking advice from Britec. Do you have any guidelines on BIOS updates because a number of people suggest it's best not to update due to the fear of bricking yet I'm concerned about the security implications?

The Computer is an Inspiron 3650 with an i5 processor and no longer under Warranty.

Any advice would be most welcome please. Many thanks.

Bricking computers after attempting a BIOS update is much more safer now on newer computers than in the past. I never update my BIOS unless I am experiencing a specific issue that the BIOS update will fix. A security flaw would be a good reason to update. The big thing is making sure you are flashing with the correct BIOS for your machine and not powering off the computer while updating.
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

(08-20-2018, 02:09 PM)Timster Wrote:  Bricking computers after attempting a BIOS update is much more safer now on newer computers than in the past.

Thanks Timster I understand what you say but one chap only bought his computer in July, updated the BIOS as per the Urgent recommendation from the manufacturer and it bricked. Luckily it's still under warranty and now has the hassle of getting and installing a new motherboard which is no mean feat for non-technically minded people.

Thanks for your response.

Sound like HP is having a bad patch when it comes to bios updates

I would a month or 2 before install in BIOS updates to see if HP will addresses the problem

(08-20-2018, 04:45 PM)John Red Wrote:  
(08-20-2018, 02:09 PM)Timster Wrote:  Bricking computers after attempting a BIOS update is much more safer now on newer computers than in the past.  

Thanks Timster I understand what you say but one chap only bought his computer in July, updated the BIOS as per the Urgent recommendation from the manufacturer and it bricked. Luckily it's still under warranty and now has the hassle of getting and installing a new motherboard which is no mean feat for non-technically minded people.

Thanks for your response.

It does happen but is rare. Like I say do what you are comfortable with. I have updated many BIOS's and never experienced this issue however I get a machine in my shop every now and then that the customer claims went south after a BIOS update.
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

I think what can happen is that updating the bios through windows can cause a problem