Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Restore Default Bios-Gigabyte
Hi everyone

I'd appreciate is someone could help with my self created problem. This proves I know a little and that is enough to be dangerous.

I have an 8 year old self built desktop with a Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 motherboard. Two days ago I tried to update the bios from the currently installed F2 to a new version. Initially I tried version F12 and when that caused my issues I went back to version F4, the earliest one I could find online. I'm still having issues and am regretting my actions. I'd like to somehow get back to F2.

I did have bios created raid 1 running.

I have tried resetting the default bios by:

1. unplugging the power and putting a screwdriver on the clear bios pins (don't know where to find a jumper)
2. Turning power supply power off and holding down case switch, turning them both on and off again
3. running load optimized default settings in the bios
4. running load fail-safe defaults

I did manage to get windows working but after running a chkdsk /r and fixing found errors now on restart windows 10 won't book properly and goes straight to automatic repair.

Automatic repair doesn't fix the issue, resetting the pc doesn't work, sfc /scannow runs 100% verification but won't fully complete.

I'm asking if anyone knows how to get back to bios version F2 (where can I download it) or other suggestions you may have?

If I tried to reinstall windows would that solve the issue? I'd have the second raid disk to possibly create a raid again or copy data from. I use Idrive so hopefully have all my data available.

thanks for any help.

Wayne

You need to check the health of those drives. If one or both of the dries are ok you could attempt ti rebuild the RAID 1 using one of the good drives.

Exactly what problems did you encounter after upgrading BIOS?
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

(11-20-2018, 01:42 AM)Timster Wrote:  You need to check the health of those drives. If one or both of the dries are ok you could attempt ti rebuild the RAID 1 using one of the good drives.

Exactly what problems did you encounter after upgrading BIOS?

Thanks for the reply.

Windows 10 tries to start but it can't and automatic repair appears, it tries to diagnose the issue but can't repair itself. I have tried to repair windows with a usb and no luck.

Tonight (it's 10.13 am now here is Western Australia) I'll take some images and add them to this this thread.
Sfc scanow can't fully complete only 100% verification is completing.

I have managed to get a copy of the F2 bios from Gigabyte so I'll try to reinstall that and see what happens.

If there are no other suggestions I'll probably try reinstalling windows and if that works, add the raid 1 in the bios settings, connect the other drive and see if it rebuilds it. It's my fault for trying to update the bios and am hopeful that the old bios version works if not, then hopefully the reinstall will.
Appreciate your assistance.

regards
Wayne

Hi

I decided to bite the bullet and do a fresh install of windows 10 to solve my issues. I couldn't restore the machine and it was probably due to some settings in the BIOS I changed to see if that would help the issue.

I've removed the raid and are just using a sole disk for the install. I need to re-watch more of Brian's videos and leave the bios alone.

Thanks for your help.

cheers
Wayne

I would still check hard drive health status like to! Said

https://briteccomputers.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=695