How to Avoid Adware, Spyware and Browser Hijacker: More and more people fall fail to Adware and Browser Hijackers every day? We class “Adware” as a Potentially Unwanted Program, also known as PUP. It is one of the most common computer problems and working in the computer repair industry, I see Adware and Browser Hijackers
the most out of all malware infected computers. A miss conception is that all Potentially Unwanted Program PUP’s are viruses and this is not the case, why? Well most antivirus programs and security suites don’t detect PUP’s. That’s why it’s good to run Malwarebytes Pro and Emsisoft Anti-Malware. Malwarebytes Pro is a real time scanner and is specially design for such malicious programs like PUP’s. It can block them, even before they have a chance to get installed on the computer system. You need to watch out for when installing software, PUP’s come bundled in some freeware programs, so using programs like Unchecky can help at stopping such potentially unwanted programs.
A common cause of Adware getting onto the computer is user error, this is due to the installation of freeware software which can be download from poor reputation sites, such as CNET, Softonic, Brothersoft, there are other providers of free software which contain open candy or unwanted software. So when you download from these types of sites, it’s a gamble that can be avoided, free programs from these websites contain unwanted toolbars, browser extensions that do nothing but cause computer problems, for example random redirects to sites you never search for, annoying popup ads that automatically renders advertisements, these advertisements vary depending what type of Adware you have on the system, Your computer will slow significantly and become more sluggish.. They can collect data from your browser and surfing habits, which is a huge security risk.
RULES TO LIVE BY
- Never download software from untrustworthy sites. (Example CNET, Brothersoft, Softonic, Soft32, Tucows.)
- Sites I recommend you use for downloads are File Hippo, Softpedia, Major Geeks, and Freeware Files.
- Never click on E-Mail attachments.
- Never download from dodgy proxy server sites, these will be full of advertisements.
- Never download via Torrent.
- Never use P2P (peer-to-peer) networks or Newsgroups
- Read licensing agreements. Don’t just scroll to the bottom and click the “I accept” LOOK for Open Candy.
- Watch out web site scams or phishing sites.
- Watch out for short links and don’t click them, use sites like https://longurl.org/ to see where link leads to before clicking it.
- Use real time scanner programs like Malwarebytes Pro and Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
- Unchecky is another great bit of software that can help.
- If you think you have Adware or Spyware and you browser is getting redirected, you can run scans with ADWCleaner, Junkware Removal Tool.
- If you not that comfortable using these, ask from help of free support forums like ours or seek help from a reputable computer repair shop.
If you have downloaded free software and you have doubts about the reliability of that software, you can always upload it to VirusTotal, this will then be scanned against their records and show the files credibility, just make sure the file does not exceed 64MB.
Common List of Toolbars and Potentially Unwanted Programs:
- Ask Toolbar
- Browser Manager
- 1-844-809-5828 Microsoft Tech Support
- Claro / iSearch
- Coupon Printer for Windows
- Ziftr Ads
- Facemoods / Funmoods
- SecurityHelper.dll Trojan
- External Source ads
- Palikan Search
- Sendori Ads
- Lights Cinema 1.2 beta
- Web Assistant
That’s it, I hope this helps you out, please share with your friends and family.