Windows Update error “Windows update cannot currently check for updates because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer”
This is a very common error and can be tricky to fix if you don’t know how. there is many reason why this issue can happen, one is the SoftwareDistribution folder gets corrupted during a Windows Update.
I will show you some simple steps in fixing your problem with Windows Update.
2. Click Run Microsoft Fix It tool and press Accept.
3. Select Detect problems and apply the fixes for me.
4. Let the Microsoft Fix It tool try and fix Windows Update problems and press Next.
1. Click Start > type services.msc > press enter.
2. Look for Windows Update in the list, right-click, click Stop. (service needs to be stopped to delete content in folder)
3. Next we need to navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.
4. Please Delete all files inside SoftwareDistribution folder.
5. Reboot your computer.
6. Click Start > type services.msc > press enter.
7. Look for Windows Update in the list, right-click, click Start.
8. Now try Windows Update. (still not working? continue with repair steps)
1. Click Start > type cmd > right-click and choose Run as Administrator.
2. Now type the following commands and press Enter after each one:
3. Reboot the computer then check Windows Updates.