Poll: Do you think products from Apple are overpriced?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone here think that products from Apple are just ridiculously priced?
Good thread Partha! and I have some input...lol

All Apple Products are great and work well... "Till something breaks and you need support "not so good!!"

I don't hate Apple Products, but I do think they are way overpriced... also the support practices and offerings don't justify the cost.

- They will not support 3rd party repair shops. So if a shop is not Apple Certified, we have to find used or 3rd party parts from China at our own risk. Here in the US, I have heard of $3000.00 phone parts orders being seized by customs during shipment. "Suppliers will not refund orders seized by customs" Also if a shop is doing a mass amount of Apple Repairs and advertise Genuine Apple Parts...You can almost guarantee a visit from I.C.E. (Immigration and Customs Enforcement).

- If you do not have Apple Care and your Backlight goes out on a MacBook Pro "for example". That (.17 cent) backlight filter will cost you $700.00 to be replaced. There are small micro soldering shops doing this repair for $350.00.

- Lots of flaws that Apple will not admit to or recognize... for example: iPhone 6+, 7, and 7+ issue with the phones flexing and causing the GPU IC BGA solder pads to lift off the logic board "causing gray horizontal and vertical lines on the screen"... The issue was caused from scaling down the frame "I guess to be lighter" allowing the phones to flex way too far. The fix is to install micro jumpers, new GPU IC, and soldering a plate across the frame of the phone.

- Liquid Contact Indicators: All Apple products have moisture indicators throughout their devices... If ANY of these white stickers are red, Apple will consider the device liquid damaged and not honor warranty "even if you have Apple Care". They will offer to sell you another device. The first sticker that an Apple Genius will check is inside the SIM tray...if it's not white "Too Bad". Even in normal use...humidity will change the indicators to red...

This is just a breif list and some reasons why I do not offer Apple Hardware support with my business.

Note: I do believe that the UK has certain laws in place different than the US when it comes to consumer electronics... I don't know if the above applies to the UK.
L.S. Computer Systems
807 East Broadway
Hopewell, VA. 23860, USA
+1 (804) 715-8185
https://www.lscomputersystems.com

Very valid points there, Larry

I don't understand how Apple can get away with such high costs for it's products and consumers still pay. In terms of repairing apple products (mainly MacBooks, MacBook Pro's, MacBook Air's and iMacs) customers are also ok with the fact that repairing these computers are at a much higher cost than the same repairs done on a PC or laptop. I don't get it, however I do capitalize on this fact. I do offer repairs on all Apple Branded computers and I charge Apple repair prices. Why wouldn't I? I could charge $600 to replace a 2 yr old MacBook Air retina display and that is still under what Apple would charge if you did it through Apple care. I do not boast genuine parts but I purchase through reputable vendors namely Ifixit.com.

@Larry you really should get into repairing Mac computers. There is money you are missing there sir.
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

(10-11-2017, 06:18 PM)Timster Wrote:  I don't understand how Apple can get away with such high costs for it's products and consumers still pay. In terms of repairing apple products (mainly MacBooks, MacBook Pro's, MacBook Air's and iMacs) customers are also ok with the fact that repairing these computers are at a much higher cost than the same repairs done on a PC or laptop. I don't get it, however I do capitalize on this fact. I do offer repairs on all Apple Branded computers and I charge Apple repair prices. Why wouldn't I? I could charge $600 to replace a 2 yr old MacBook Air retina display and that is still under what Apple would charge if you did it through Apple care. I do not boast genuine parts but I purchase through reputable vendors namely Ifixit.com.

@Larry you really should get into repairing Mac computers. There is money you are missing there sir.
Couldn't agree more. Just curious to know if you provide a warranty for the service

(10-11-2017, 09:33 PM)Partha Wrote:  
(10-11-2017, 06:18 PM)Timster Wrote:  I don't understand how Apple can get away with such high costs for it's products and consumers still pay. In terms of repairing apple products (mainly MacBooks, MacBook Pro's, MacBook Air's and iMacs) customers are also ok with the fact that repairing these computers are at a much higher cost than the same repairs done on a PC or laptop. I don't get it, however I do capitalize on this fact. I do offer repairs on all Apple Branded computers and I charge Apple repair prices. Why wouldn't I? I could charge $600 to replace a 2 yr old MacBook Air retina display and that is still under what Apple would charge if you did it through Apple care. I do not boast genuine parts but I purchase through reputable vendors namely Ifixit.com.

Couldn't agree more. Just curious to know if you provide a warranty for the service

Coming from you Tim I am considering it... My next question would be what Partha just asked.
L.S. Computer Systems
807 East Broadway
Hopewell, VA. 23860, USA
+1 (804) 715-8185

I offer warranty on Mac repairs just the same as I do for pc's
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

Thanks for the info Tim, Much appretiated!!
L.S. Computer Systems
807 East Broadway
Hopewell, VA. 23860, USA
+1 (804) 715-8185