Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
change motherboard without reinstalling windows
I tried the 2GB of RAM in both slots and boots fine, I put in the stick of 1GB to make it 3GB total and after starting windows the screen goes grey, but when starting in safe mode, it will log me in, it's not the OS because it's x64 not x32

(11-07-2014, 11:23 PM)NormalWoNerd Wrote:  This was just something I wanted to bring up, it's always acting up, it's 6 years old and I'm surprised it hasn't given up on me yet, however I'm saving for a new one and I was wondering, if I back up my files to a disc, is there a way where Windows can follow? I've bought Windows 7 twice already, I don't want to buy it again. Also, going back to the motherboard, I searched the specs, it can hold up to 4GB of RAM but it's only accepting 2GB

(11-09-2014, 01:43 AM)NormalWoNerd Wrote:  I tried the 2GB of RAM in both slots and boots fine, I put in the stick of 1GB to make it 3GB total and after starting windows the screen goes grey, but when starting in safe mode, it will log me in, it's not the OS because it's x64 not x32
How do you know its 64bit capable? you said earlier that the MOBO can hold 4GB RAM that doesn't make it 64bit. Is your CPU 64bit capable?

If you're unsure and can start the system up on the 2GB RAM then run this program Securable

I'm not sure if you're asking if it can accept a x64 bit OS because it's using one at the moment.
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 bit

(11-09-2014, 08:27 PM)NormalWoNerd Wrote:  I'm not sure if you're asking if it can accept a x64 bit OS because it's using one at the moment.
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 bit
Ok was getting confused (thought you said it had 32bit to start off with, may have been a different post).

Is the 1GB RAM stick the same speed as as the 2GB?

They were working perfectly together in the last computer they were in, and now the computer refuses to start with them both together, my dad and brother think that they need to be in there in a certain order, but I've tried it both ways and it didn't make any difference

Just because that memory was running fine as a pair on one motherboard does not mean it will fun fine as a pair on a different board. Check the motherboard manufacturer's site to get a list of known compatible tested memory brands recommended for that board.
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net