Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10 corrupted by Rollback Rx
Ouch! Another problem has cropped up. I don't know it it is related to the updates that installed AFTER my repair/install of Windows 10 or not, but I have no Cortana and no "search". The search BOX is there but does not accept anything input and the "search" function of windows home right-click does not respond either.

In the task manager there are no "Cortana" or "search" apps/processes!

Everything else works fine, and if necessary I can live without either of these. In fact, in the past, I only used the search function (never Cortana) to find things on the computer (not the web).

Does anyone have any idea why "search" and Cortana just seem to be absent?

Also, do you reckon I am safe to reinstall Rollback Rx?

run a sfc scan

(03-30-2017, 12:11 PM)Compton Wrote:  run a sfc scan

I knew in advance that it would not help but I did it anyway. It found nothing, which is not surprising because absent files cannot be corrupt. These files appear to be absent and their absence does not seem to affect any windows system other than themselves! There are no files for sfc to check (for the search and Cortana)
... that is in my humble opinion, because there is no such process/files running in the task manager -- just my layman's guestimate!

maybe user profile is corrupted create a new user profile

I hear ya on that one johnda it seems like system restore,rollbacks etc are 50/50. When you have your computer how you want it It'd be best to clone the drive so that way you have a backup of your system and if you get ransomware that doesn't have a decrypt tool you can wipe your hard drive and use your separate back up hard drive to put the system and files back on your hard drive its to late now but for later id keep this in mind

There was a couple of times I used the reset option in windows 10 and 8 I did the same selection you did and when the reset process was finished it fixed the files but my importing files and others showed up but I couldn't do anything at all really with the system, I ran commands association fixes all kinds a stuff and still the same .... Nothing worked. If compton and others can't find a solution for you do a clean install of Windows and when you have drivers,updates,programs important files. Clone your hard drive to a separate hard drive and keep the backup hd handy