Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HP - PAVILION P6-2003W RUNNING WINDOWS 10, 1803 – SHUTDOWN PROBLEM
well I think at this point  not much we can you have October  version of Windows 10 coming

maybe that will fix it

what happening  is that Windows 10 is because less  compatible  with older hardware every day

you can keep up to date and tell us how the new Windows 10 version works

I'm going to print a list of all of my installed programs, saving as many setup files as possible, and then run a complete backup of my personal files before I do the October update as a clean install, and will most definitely keep you posted...

PS - Incidentally; my mother-in-law (she lives with us) is running Windows 10 (newest update) on her HP laptop (model# G71-329WM) that is 3 years older than my HP Pavilion p6-2003w that we've been troubleshooting, and it is giving her no problems at all. - Not a "dig", just thought you might be interested... since you have mentioned the "age" of my PC so many times. (Even though in the past couple of months I have quite literally "gutted out" the PC with virtually all brand new hardware); and also, from what I've been reading at the HP website, all of the chipsets, CPU, memory modules, BIOS, CMOS, etc, are all completely compatible with Windows 10. - Isn't that strange???

You know, with Halloween not that far away now, maybe my desktop PC is simply haunted... do you know any good exorcists??? Smile

Thanks again!

maybe its Casper the ghost Big Grin

Nah - Casper was the Friendly Ghost... I'm talking more along the lines of finding someone like "Father Merrin" from the movie, "The Exorcist"!!!

I'm going to check this thread every couple of days or so until the new 10/18 Update comes out, just in case you or anybody else suddenly comes up with a brainstorm between now and then.

After the update I'll pop back in to let you all know if it had any effect at all on the issue. See you then...

Well, I completely started from a clean slate (wiped the HDD and re-partitioned, then installed a clean copy of the W10 Oct 2018 version from the media creation tool and USB stick - before Microsoft pulled the upgrade) - but was no help, I'm still having the same problem. And by the way (I know you all will want to know this...); the only problem I have had with the Oct 2018 version itself was that it deleted a few files I keep in my Downloads folder, but I had a complete backup on an external HDD, so that was no issue, and there have been no further issues since.

So anyway... I'm still having the same shut-down problem as before. - The only thing left to do now that I haven't tried is replacing the PSU (the PSU that my friend brought over and tested the system with wasn't an exact duplicate to my current PSU, and he didn't unplug/test all of the cables/connectors to the individual boards and components, just the main power to the motherboard).

I found an exact duplicate to my PSU on eBay for $23.00 & free shipping (just a bit higher power only difference) - so I'm going to give that a shot; should be here by Tuesday 10/23. -- If it doesn't fix the situation, then I'm just going to have to live with pressing the main power button for 5 seconds at shut down until I can afford a new PC.

Will keep you posted... thanks!

thanks for keeping this thread up to date

what do is to install Linux to see how it will shut down

this should tell us if its hardware or software

Tried Ubuntu 16.04 - no help. ---- Even tried an old install disk of Windows 7, also no help.

This is beginning to definitely look hardware-related.

The new power supply is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday, 10/23; it's the only hardware I haven't replaced -- will keep you posted....

Forgive me if i missed anything to do with this.

But have you tried powering off your computer and unplugging the power from the wall and hold the power button down for a few seconds until the power is completely out of the machine

Also you can try taking out the cmos battery for a couple minutes and reseat the battery and see what happens.

Sorry it's taken me a month to get back with everybody on this, but I got tired of thinking about and messing with it, so I took some time away from troubleshooting...

First off, I received the new power supply and installed it - and although I was very much expecting that to be the root of the problem, it had no effect whatsoever. So I now have basically a brand-new computer, with the exception of the case.

All of the Drives, MB, CPU (upgraded from an AMD E2-3200 to an Athlon II X4 651 3K - so at least the processor is much faster than my old one was...), GPU (AMD Radeon HD 6450), RAM (from 2 mismatched,4gb off-brand sticks, to 2 matching 4GB Kingston sticks), and the PSU have all been replaced with brand new hardware.

I've even gone through all of the BIOS settings to see if it might be something in there, and I did change the "After Power-Loss" setting to "Off", just in case that might have been causing an issue... but it had no effect.

As for the suggested fixes from smirk24: I tried both of the above suggestions to no avail at all. > I removed the CMOS battery and left it out for about an hour, just to be certain that everything would be reset - it unfortunately was no help. Then I tried powering off, unplugging the power from the wall, and held the power button down for an entire minute, then plugged back in the power cable, booted up, tried shut-down; but also was no help... - thanks for the suggestions though. Wink

Also, I don't remember this computer ever running as fast it is with all of the new parts - so at least that's a plus! Smile

So, at this point I am completely flustered; but I know that if there's anybody that can figure it out, I've watched enough of Brian's YouTube videos (long-time subscriber) to know that if there is a way to fix it, I'm at the right website! Smile

Please also know that I'm in no hurry at all however, so if you all want to mull this over in your heads, discuss it with one another maybe, escalate it up to the "big-man" (if he has the time from his job and producing videos - I would never want to impose...) then whatever; take your time...

I did want to add just one thing before I sign-off -- I have noticed several web-discussions and YouTube videos where it seems there are many people experiencing this same issue with similar, and newer versions of the same types of HP PCs. To the best of my knowledge nobody has yet to find a solution...

So, thanks for everything, and I sincerely mean that; your all's suggestions and support have been very much welcomed.

Guess the only thing Left to check is the Point and eletiric breaks