Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using DISKPART to copy recovery disc to flash drive
(11-02-2016, 12:26 PM)Compton Wrote:  I see on the website they have 2 command prompt  

[Image: HTD4103KB0000R01190001061500351.JPG]

now the reason for this is because  they not open a Admin command prompt
  1. open the  command prompt as admin first
  2. Type diskpart
  3. press enter on keyboard

then you will continue work from that one single command prompt window

I just got thru doing all the steps. In the link that showed the steps to follow, toward the bottom of the webpage shows a screen shot on what the usb flash drive will look like after copying all 3 disc and edited the DATA.INI.
IM writing this from my phone so I will give the list of what it should look like and then I will give the list that shows on the flash drive.

Bin
Boot
Efi
Isle
Opk
Plant older
Sources
TC
Bootmgr
Bootmgr.efi
Data
Plan data

Now this is the f2f list
Bin
Boot
Images_boot
List
Plant older
Sources
Zzimages
!v6_00_03.vrp
Bootmgr
Data
EDITAF
PLANDATA

That is both list. But they don't match.
I have to leave to drop my car off to get worked on. And I will wait to hear back from you guys if the flash drive will work so I can get it installed.
Thanks for your time..

ok that image is for if  you are creating  windows 8/8.1/10 recovery flash drive drive

but you are creating windows 7 recovery flash drive it will not look the same  

[Image: HTD4103KB0000R011900010613103414.PNG]

you need to make you follow this step like on the website if you have not done so already

You have to modify the "DATA.INI" file, which is located in the root folder of the USB flash drive.

1. Please open the "DATA.INI" file with e.g. the Windows Editor or Notepad application

2. Modify the following two values as follows ("CDNUM" and "CDMAX" must have the value "1"):

[Image: HTD4103KB0000R011900010613103413.png]

Please be sure the DATA.INI from the first ISO file is used!

3. Save the file

After copying all recovery images files and modifying the "DATA.INI" file, you can boot from the created recovery USB flash drive and run the OS factory recovery.

(11-04-2016, 02:54 PM)Compton Wrote:  ok that image is for if  you are creating  windows 8/8.1/10 recovery flash drive drive

but you are creating windows 7 recovery flash drive it will not look the same  

[Image: HTD4103KB0000R011900010613103414.PNG]

you need to make you follow this step like on the website if you have not done so already

You have to modify the "DATA.INI" file, which is located in the root folder of the USB flash drive.

1. Please open the "DATA.INI" file with e.g. the Windows Editor or Notepad application

2. Modify the following two values as follows ("CDNUM" and "CDMAX" must have the value "1"):

[Image: HTD4103KB0000R011900010613103413.png]

Please be sure the DATA.INI from the first ISO file is used!

3. Save the file

After copying all recovery images files and modifying the "DATA.INI" file, you can boot from the created recovery USB flash drive and run the OS factory recovery.

How do I know if DATA.INI is from the first ISO file ? And that list that I sent you all I had was the one that said data, so when I right clicked on it and open it with Notepad, I went ahead and changed the numbers to number one on both of them that it showed to do. But I don't know if there's a disc 1 2 & 3 with DATA.INI, I just went ahead and started off by putting the first one in and letting that finished and then the second then the Third. So it sounds like the way I did it is correct so I'm going to go ahead and eject a flash drive and use it on the Toshiba to boot up and install. Thanks for your time again and if I have any more questions I ask you. I won't get to it till the next hour because I'm watching the Chicago Cubs parade for winning the World Series.

what I am thinking only the first iso have the DATA.INI

sounds like you did do it correctly it should work

(10-31-2016, 05:09 PM)Compton Wrote:  I understand you created a  Toshiba recovery flash drive but you need to boot from it to do a factory reset  

Toshiba Satellite L655-S5096 Manual page 72  

If your recovery files are on a USB flash drive, connect the
USB flash drive to your computer.

Turn on your computer. When the initial screen displays, press
F12.

The boot menu displays

Using the arrow keys, select the DVD option or the USB Flash
option, depending on which type of media you are using, and
then press Enter

A warning screen appears, stating that when the recovery is
executed all data on your internal storage drive will be deleted
and rewritten. Click Yes to continue.

A warning screen appears, stating that when the recovery is
executed all data on your internal storage drive will be deleted
and rewritten. Click Yes to continue.

When the Toshiba Recovery Wizard opens and the Selecting a
Process screen displays, select Recovery of Factory Default
Software and then click Next.

Select one of the following options

Recover to out-of-box state (recommended recovery
method)—If you want to recover the original factory

Recover without changing the hard drive partitions—
If you want to recover the C: partition only, leaving other
partitions you have created intac

Recover to a custom size partition—If you want to
recover the C: drive to its out-of-box state and specify a

custom size for the C: drive. Note: This option deletes all
other partitions from the drive.

Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the recovery
process.

When the process is complete, a message displays indicating
that the drive has been recovered. Press any key on the keyboard to restart the computer.

Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the recovery
process.

When the process is complete, a message displays indicating
that the drive has been recovered.

Press any key on the keyboard to restart the computer.

Just wondering the steps you take after the install is done.
I have done the fact reinstall a few times on the Toshiba laptop. And I've always wondered what steps other people take after the initial install is done and remove the recovery media.
Just wondered if there is a better or quicker way to start with the drivers, dealing with the free 30 day Norton anti virus and Best Buy bloatware that pops up after every restaet. Windows Updates which I will scan for new and install when I do it and not using the recommended setting where it will always scan and download install the updates until I get everything installed and then I'll change it to that one setting .
But I'm just curious on how anyone else that has time to tell me tthere steps they take after the OS is installed. Thanks for reading

ok some very interesting questions you should start a new Thread how to configure a system after a factory rest

did you get the flash drive to work ?

(11-05-2016, 04:11 AM)Compton Wrote:  ok some very interesting questions you should start a new Thread how to configure a system after a factory rest

I'm starting it right now..
Thanks for the advise on starting a new thread. I always want to make sure I'm posting the correct ways in forum's. Some forum's can get a little cconfusing. Which topic should I post the new Thread in?

(11-05-2016, 04:11 AM)Compton Wrote:  ok some very interesting questions you should start a new Thread how to configure a system after a factory rest

Well, I got back from my walk and while the install was going thru, I walked in and I have a "Recovery Error: 10-FC06-0002

ok this  problem could be a failing hard drive or the flash drive got corrupted

let's start with testing  hard drive first do you have hard drive docking station  

if you do  take hard drive out of laptop into docking station  then test the hard drive

How to Test Your Hard Drive Using SeaTools for Windows

how to check your hard drive health status with crystal disk info

(11-05-2016, 12:38 PM)Compton Wrote:  ok this  problem could be a failing hard drive or the flash drive got corrupted

let's start with testing  hard drive first do you have hard drive docking station  

if you do  take hard drive out of laptop into docking station  then test the hard drive

How to Test Your Hard Drive Using SeaTools for Windows

how to check your hard drive health status with crystal disk info

I'm waiting to hear back from a guy I know on when he finds his hard drive case to use. I wonder if it is the hard drive..I burned lots of cd's with all kinds of different programs to use to fix pc's about 5 years ago and I may of finally wore it out..I have used the Seagate scan in the past few months and it came back good. Is there a way to put the two programs on two separate flash drives to boot up to run the scan....Probably not tho. I have a Hirens CD somewhere around here that I used to use.

Well, maybe I can work on my other Sony VAIO PCG-7184L...I need to install Windows 7 back on it.