Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laptop hdd
like everyone said a laptop hard drive could work but that would be the biggest bottleneck in the system

(10-31-2017, 12:41 PM)Compton Wrote:  like everyone said a laptop hard drive could work but that would be the biggest bottleneck in the system

Ok no worries it was just an idea thats all

(10-31-2017, 04:30 PM)Martin2781 Wrote:  
(10-31-2017, 12:41 PM)Compton Wrote:  like everyone said a laptop hard drive could work but that would be the biggest bottleneck in the system

Ok no worries it was just an idea thats all

Hello guys i seen this on ebay is it any good https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toshiba-H200-High-Performance-500GB-Hybrid-Internal-Solid-State-Hard-Drive-2-5/322870374938?epid=2256074205&hash=item4b2c92f21a:g:Il4AAOSwjIZZzrH2

I never saw any complaints. If you  plan to buy it and have never used a hybrid drive before, I would  suggest you making it the bootable drive for performance improvements

(11-10-2017, 11:58 AM)Partha Wrote:  I never saw any complaints. If you  plan to buy it and have never used a hybrid drive before, I would  suggest you making it the bootable drive for performance improvements

how do you mean bootable, i was going to use this like the ssd

(11-10-2017, 12:09 PM)Martin2781 Wrote:  how do you mean bootable, i was going to use this like the ssd

I meant installing the operating system on that drive so that the system loads from there

I would go with a full SSD over a Hybrid, simply because the speed is better and less chance of damage from knocks. Hybrids are basically HDDs with a SSD cache, doesn't necessarily make them any faster as they are still using plates.

(11-10-2017, 01:24 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  I would go with a full SSD over a Hybrid, simply because the speed is better and less chance of damage from knocks. Hybrids are basically HDDs with a SSD cache, doesn't necessarily make them any faster as they are still using plates.
But if the cache stores all the system files and program files, the  system will  load faster and so will the programs  that are installed on  the hybrid drive

(11-10-2017, 01:53 PM)Partha Wrote:  
(11-10-2017, 01:24 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  I would go with a full SSD over a Hybrid, simply because the speed is better and less chance of damage from knocks. Hybrids are basically HDDs with a SSD cache, doesn't necessarily make them any faster as they are still using plates.
But if the cache stores all the system files and program files, the  system will  load faster and so will the programs  that are installed on  the hybrid drive

To a point. It all depends how large the Cache is people often fail to take this into account, you will still have less Read / Write speed which is why an SSD is overall much faster.

You also still have to wait for the cache to be built, whereas an SSD is ready always.

(11-10-2017, 02:00 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  To a point. It all depends how large the Cache is people often fail to take this into account, you will still have less Read / Write speed which is why an SSD is overall much faster.

You also still have to wait for the cache to be built, whereas an SSD is ready always.
It still would be faster by quite an extent than a traditional mechanical drive; no doubt SSDs are faster but we also have to take into account the price difference