Speed Up A Slow Windows PC: Its a well known fact that PCs slow down over time. Doing regular maintenance on your computer can keep your computer running fast and smooth. There are many reasons why our pc system slows down. Here are some of the main reasons.
- Malware Virus. There can slow the system right down.
- Junkware. Can grind the system to a halt.
- Dust in your computer. Dust is the biggest killer of computer hardware.
- Bad Hardware. failing drive, motherboard or ram can make the computer slow.
- Corrupt Registry Files.
- Corrupt Windows Files.
- Fragmented Drive. Defragmenting your hard disk was a thing we did back in the day. Modern versions of Windows automatically defragment your hard drive in the background. But it won’t hurt to run it now and then manually.
- Old Hardware. This can happen when your running old hardware with a modern operating system and software.
As you can see there is quite a few reasons for computer slowness and there is many more.
So if you are on a old system and you want to make it faster. I will show you some basic steps to manually troubleshoot and fix the problem yourself.
- Resource Hungry Programs hogging your CPU and Memory (RAM).
- Disable Startup Programs to help bootup times. We will disable applications to prevent them from launching at startup.
- Web Browser Extensions or Add-ons manager can slow down your browsing experience.
- Reduce Visual Effects. These cripple a older computer and use up crucial memory that maybe needed.
- Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing
- Animations in the taskbar
- Enable transparent glass
- Fade or slide menus into view
- Fade or slide Tool Tips into view
- Fade out menu items after clicking
- Show shadows under windows
- Slide open combo boxes
- Uninstall them programs you don’t use and stop them taking up space.
- Disk Cleanup tool will help free up disk space
- Install SSD
Read this article SSD vs HDD
Need help with computer problems? join our forum.